PSYC 102: APPLIED PSYCHOLOGY
Chapter 3 (8th Ed.)
1. Define positive reinforcer, positive reinforcement, deprivation, satiation, motivating operations, instructions and natural reinforcers.
2. Briefly describe eight factors that influence the effectiveness of a positive reinforcement.
3. Give two reasons why you want to be very specific about identifying the behaviors to be reinforced.
4. Classify five general categories of positive reinforcers and provide a personal example of each.
5. What is the Premack Principle?
6. Why have psychologists found it advantageous to let people choose from several types of reinforcers?
***NOTE: An object or event is a positive reinforcer ONLY when there is an increase in the behavior the reinforcer follows.
7. How is feeding a child salty foods an motivating operation?
***NOTE: Deprivation increases the effectiveness of a reinforcers and satiation decreases the effectiveness of a reinforcer.
8. Does a person have to understand or be aware of why he/she was reinforced?
9. How do giving instructions help when trying to change a person's behavior?
10. When is using a positive reinforcer most effective?
11. What is the difference between a contingent and non-contingent use of reinforcement?
12. Identify a natural reinforcer that occurs periodically in your life?
13. What is one pitfall to positive reinforcement?
14. On page 46, be able to identify four qualities a reinforcer outlined in guideline 2a.
Please send comments regarding this web page to: Tim.Trainor@ttdk.com